This soup has been a favorite in the Wittekind household for years. It’s a variation of a recipe called “Phoebe’s Pumpkin and Sausage Soup“, and it wasn’t until I got ready to prepare it for a pitch-in that I realized I’d never shared it on my blog!
- 1 roll Bob Evan’s Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (I use a garlic press.)
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 quart chicken stock or bone broth
- 1 15-oz can pure pumpkin
- 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
- Brown sausage, mushrooms, and onion in a large pot. When veggies are soft and translucent, add garlic and cook for another minute or so.
- Add the chicken stock and the canned pumpkin. Bring the soup to a boil, and then turn it down to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, stir, and reduce heat to low. Allow the soup to cook for another 10 minutes. Serve!
Note: I’ve made this soup ahead of time and I’ve kept it hot in a crock pot set to LOW (or even “WARM”, depending on the crock pot.) I’ve also frozen leftovers with good results, but when I make it, there are almost never leftovers that I can freeze.